Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Final Days.

Like my first few days in Peru, my final days were also a blur. On Wednesday we volunteers threw a party for the abuelos to show our appreciation and to say thank you for for letting us into their hearts and homes. The fiesta was a HUGE success!!! After breakfast, we handed out brightly colored masks donned with sequins and feathers. That was a big hit. They all wanted photos with their masks on. It was hilarious! Just picture about 85 native Andean abuelos sitting around with these flashy masks on. Too funny! Then we had a rip roarin' game of BINGO where we handed out prizes of socks, wash clothes and tupperware. They may not seem like "fabulous" prizes to us, but to the abuelos these prizes are considered gold. In the end, everyone received a prize as we made sure that there was enough to go around for all. After Bingo, it was time for cake and dancing! Let me tell you... Some of those folks may be 95 years old, but they can cut a rug! We even had a Conga train going! At lunch, our special entertainment showed up. Jorge Pardo, a singer who is well known in Peru, came and sang about 5 songs while the abuelos were eating their lunch. I mean really, how often do the abuelos get to dine to live music. I'm so glad that everyone had a great time. Ahhhh success!!!

Thursday we did more house visits to those abuelos who haven't been showing up to the program. Sister Jacci was planning a big party on Friday in honor of Father's Day and she wanted to make sure that everyone could be there. For some of the abuelos the Los Martincitos is too far to walk so they have to take a Taxi Moto. Unfortunately, some don't show up simply because they can't afford that taxi fare which is about 1 sole (35 cents) round trip. Marni and I had some money leftover from the party fund, so we made sure that everyone had taxi fare. No excuses!

Friday was the Father's Day Party and to my delight all the folks who we gave Taxi fare to were present and accounted for. Hooray! The men all got a spiffy shave and haircut if they needed it. They were also given wonderful Father's Day goody bags filled with a t-shirts, underwear and a blazer thanks to a recent donation from a men's store in Spain. I have to say that, for me, the day was bitter sweet. Not only was it their Father's Day celebration, but it was also my last day with these incredibly special people. When our van pulled up, Sister Jacci pulled Marni and I in front of the 100 seated abuelos to do the formal good bye. The abuelos thanked us and then sang us a song to wish us well. I thanked them as well and let them know that they have given me much more than I have given them. And then all the abuelos rushed up to us to give us our final hugs and kisses good bye... That's when the tears came rushing. Then, just when I thought it was over, there was Sister Jacci waiting to say good bye. That was tough... Really tough. I traveled to Peru to help out for a month, but she has been doing this every single day for the past 8 years... We need more Sister Jacci's in this world. Cheers Jacci!

We could learn a lot from the abuelos. They are a strong breed! They have had hard lives working the fields when they lived in the country, keeping and building their houses, raising their kids and living in poverty. Now they are in their 70's, 80's and 90's in which they live in impoverished conditions and supporting themselves on less than a dollar a day. And yet, they are the most loving and appreciative folks I've ever met. They enjoy a good party, they look out for each other and they love to laugh. In my 4 weeks at Los Martincitos, there was not an ounce of victimhood or complaints and that was really refreshing. They are all champions in my book!

Adios Los Martincitos! Mi corazon es contigo!

No comments: